1 cup dried small chickpeas or regular chickpeas or 1.5 cups regular dried chickpeas.
1 green chilli, slit
1 tsp coriander powder
¼ tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala powder or chole masala
½ or 1 tsp dry mango powder
a pinch of asafoetida
black salt or rock salt as required
2 cups water to be added later whole garam masala
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 large indian bay leaf
2 inch cinnamon
2 green cardamom
2-3 black peppercorn
ground paste ingredients:
1 medium size onion, chopped
2 medium size tomatoes, chopped
½ inch ginger, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 green chili, chopped
1. first soak the chickpeas/chole in enough water overnight or for 7-8 hours.
2. drain the water and cook the chole with water+salt in a pressure cooker or a pot.
3. you can also add a pinch or two of baking soda while cooking the chole.
4. strain the chole and keep aside.
5. make a fine paste of the onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and green chili in a grinder or blender
6. no need to add water while making the paste as the juice of the tomatoes will help in making the paste.
7. keep the paste aside.
8. heat oil in a pan.
9. fry the whole garam masala/spices mentioned above till the oil become fragrant.
10. don’t burn them.
11. add the ground paste and saute till the oil starts to leaves the sides of the paste.
12. stir while sauting so that the paste does not stick to the pan.
13. add all the dry spice powders – turmeric, red chili powder, coriander and dry mango powder.
14. stir and saute for a minute. add the cooked chole and stir.
15. pour water. add salt and stir.
16. simmer on a low or medium flame for 12-15 minutes till the curry thickens. don’t cover the pan. stir occasionally.
17. add slit green chilies and garam masala powder or chole masala. stir and simmer for a minute or two.
18. check the seasoning and add more salt or spice powders if required.
19. garnish chole with coriander leaves.
serve chole with onion slices, lemon wedges along with bhatura !
If you think this post was useful, Please do share it with your family and friends by clicking the share button below.